Wednesday 28 September 2016

How We Use Story of the World Vol. 2


Hi guys! This year for our history studies we are using Story of the World Vol. 2. The boys and I love this history curriculum, the stories are engaging and written in short bit size chunks to hold their interest. I purchased both the text book and the activity guide this year so that I can get ideas for narration questions, art projects, and book suggestions.

While I was planning our schedule this summer I was looking for a creative way to help the boys retain more facts and information from each chapter. I came across this post from Sunlit Pages and it was the perfect idea.


I used Velcro strips and clothes pins along with index cards. The plan is to have the boys take turns to draw the one thing that stood out to them from each chapter. Once they draw we write a little about what they drew and hang it up above our fireplace. So far we are loving how it looks and we review and go over the pictures every few chapters. We still utilize our timeline figures, narrations, and map work from the book but this is an added step that they enjoy once we complete a chapter.

Here's my son working on what stood out to him from chapter 6. 




The drawings are nothing fancy. Sometimes they add lots of details depending on how into it they are and sometimes it's just a stick figure in a battle.


I can't wait until we complete this! It will be a beautiful project to look over at the end of the year.

Linked Up With:
Montessori Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01