Sunday 17 January 2016

All About Spelling Review



This is my first review post on my blog. I decided to start with a program that is near and dear to my heart. I am talking about All about Spelling, this program comes from the team All about Learning. All about spelling, is an amazing program to use with all types of students- especially with those that struggle with spelling.

Our Journey

All about Spelling was the first and only program that I have used in our homeschool. I started this program with my then 5 year old. I have two children currently using the program level 2 and 4. This is the first thing each of my children request daily which makes this mommy happy :). This is one program that I am happy to say were sticking with till the end.



The Method

The program is easy to teach and its broken down for you right at the begin of each book. There is a quick overview, introduction and how to set up your letter tiles.




All about Spelling takes a completely different approach. Instead of memorizing a word list each week, the child is taught a system for spelling. The program starts with the foundation of the English language- the sounds that each letter makes, and builds upon those skills as the program progresses.



The child not only learns how to spell, but is taught why a word is spell that way. Which is crucial in building strong spelling skills. I'll give you an example, most children are taught that silent 'e' makes the vowel say its name, but with All about Spelling students are also introduced to six other jobs that silent 'e' performs in a word, including exceptions (rule breakers).

The lessons are short and are introduced in bite size chunks. Each lesson has a built in review, which takes the guess work out of teaching.

Each new concept is taught using magnet tiles on a magnetic white board. This is our favorite part about the curriculum. It switches things up for my active boys, who enjoy hands on learning.  After the child masters the concept they are given a list of ten words to further practice the lesson.






What you need to purchase

To teach this program successfully you definitely need the teachers manual, without it the program is useless, and you will also need a student package.

In addition to the teachers manual and student package, you will need to make a one time purchase of the spelling interactive kit.

 All about spelling has released a free iTunes and Android app to help your child practice their letter sounds. Which is really convenient for those days you are busy and your child needs extra practice.


How we organize our levels

I keep the student package for each of my children in a binder. This way all I have to do is grab the binder and get started.


I keep all the cards that come with each level in page protectors inside the binder. I find this method easier than keeping them in the box. Trust me I've dropped the box before and its a nightmare to put them back in order :).


For my younger son once his mastered the concept on the letter tiles. I use these page that I got FREE over at notebooking pages (You will need to be a member to excess these free notebooking pages).


There are many ways you can organize your spelling curriculum but this is just one way I find easy. Let me know how you organize this wonderful curriculum.

I can go on and on about this program and the many ways its helped my boys. But for the sake of keeping this already long post short I'll stop here.

I hope this review was helpful for you and if you have any questions please feel free to leave me a comment.




Disclosure: I love All About Spelling so much that I signed up for their affiliate program, which means I earn a small commission if you choose to purchase through the links in this post. However, this review was not solicited, nor does my affiliate relationship impact my feelings about the program


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01